Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Sight Word Extravaganza

Last year while teaching first grade, I noticed my students weren't progressing very well when it came to sight words. I have always thought just practicing a list was pretty boring and super hard for second language learners. So I wrote their words on index cards and then wrote a sentence underneath the word. It was amazing how quick they could learn the word while it was embedded in print. I did it around February. I felt like kicking myself for not doing it sooner! I also had the kids read their words before they began Read to Someone and with our 4th Grade Buddies. Then a friend of mine told me she had her students read the three sight words every time they went out the door or came in. So to make life easier, I made a booklet with all the second grade words embedded in print with a poster for 'Your ticket out the door.'











No comments:

Post a Comment